The Kirov region is located in the north-east of the European part of the country and is one of the largest in the Non-Chernozem zone of Russia.
The region is home to one of the country’s leading producers of mineral fertilizers, as well as major scientific organizations and manufacturing enterprises.
The dominant economic activities of the region are:
- chemical industry;
- mechanical engineering;
- energy complex;
- food industry;
- woodworking industry;
- metallurgical production;
- production of finished metal products;
- production of rubber and plastic products;;
The strategy of socio-economic development of the Kirov Region for the period up to 2020 was adopted by the Regional Government Resolution No. 142/319 of 12.08.2008 and is aimed at improving the quality of life of the population to the level of leaders of the Volga Federal District through the development of priority sectors of the economy and the modernization of the social sphere.
To achieve the strategic goal, the following tasks are solved:
- changing the structure of GRP with an increase in the share of the real sector of the economy;
- drastic increase in labor productivity;
- formation of advanced development zones and preparation of infrastructure for the implementation of basic investment projects;
- development of infrastructure to support small and medium-sized businesses with the priority of forming a high-tech, innovative cluster in the field of biotechnology;
- creating a reference framework for a social network;
- optimization of the administrative-territorial structure and settlement system.
Factors of investment attractiveness of the region are:
- favorable transport position, favorable for (conducive to) the development of interregional economic relations;
- developed institutional environment;
- high scientific and educational potential;
- the presence of a rich raw material base: the forest resource base and minerals as a potential object of significant investment;
- the presence of unique competitive industries (chemical, biotechnological, biomedical and pharmaceutical industries);
- high level of tourist and recreational potential.